Although it may not be the first place you would look, Forever 21 has a surprisingly nice collection of beauty products: decent quality despite the cheap price tags and unfailingly pretty, adorable packaging. This Love & Beauty Bow Case Lipstick ($5) is no exception.
The bow packaging is what caught my eye, of course, and for $5 I figured it was a risk I could take. There are three shades with very creative names: Pink, Red, and Nude. I bought Pink and Red.
Spoiler alert: Pink was no good. The color was fine but it had gritty bits of glitter in it, which made me want to throw it straight in the trash (duh, obviously I didn't because that bow is so damn cute).
However, Red was a different story. Keep reading for my review!
Here's what I thought of the Love & Beauty Bow Case Lipstick in Red (presented in a handy pros & cons format):
- A nice, true-red shade with lots of pigmentation in one swipe.
- Creamy and hydrating with a nice satin finish. Glides on evenly.
- Love the packaging, of course. It feels as nice as it looks.
- Not tested on animals.
- Not long-lasting. It all but disappeared after a meal. (At least it faded evenly, though.)
- Can be a little hard to apply neatly, which is why I don't often love creamy, dark lipsticks.
- Very strong Play-doh smell.
All in all, I would definitely recommend the Red and I might even get brave enough to try the Nude (a shade that rarely works for me).*
Besides, it's only five bucks and if you hate the lipstick, it's still cute enough to add to your lipstick collection or leave lying around on your vanity.